I Believe

I believe in God and country and men from every race,
I believe in paths and roads I trod in a stumbling pace,
I believe in ethics and virtues, in dreams I fail to weave,
dare ask me now my sceptic friend if I honestly believe.

I believe in darkness and evil haunting some human hearts,
I believe in every weevil, every bug and old boards of darts,
I believe in angels and demons and pigeons in a magician's sleeve,
dare ask me now, my dear old friend, if I honestly believe.

I believe in destiny and fate forcing men to lose their way,
I believe in a man called Kennedy, an' a woman called Doris day,
I believe in Susan Atkins just as much as in Sharon Tate,
dare ask me now, my funny friend, if I honestly believe.

I believe in the oldest of scriptures, I believe in Vogue and Q,
I believe in conspiracy theories or whatever suits you,
I believe in Charles Fort and in Apple's chief called Steve,
dare ask me now, my confused friend, if I honestly believe.

I believe in love and hate, I believe in me and you,
I believe in heaven and hell and dooms day...oh yes: that too!
I believe in forgiveness and righteousness yet now I must leave,
before you ask me relentlessly again if I do believe.

End

A. L. Gomaa© 2009