The Quest

I wake up every morning in pools of grief and sorrow,
my body feels so heavy, my soul craves for tomorrow,
for tomorrow may bring some joy and cast the sadness away,
yet tomorrow’s just a notion, it’s never a definitive day!

I went to consult my therapist, and he's a skilful man,
If it’s depression then he'll heal it, if any human can,
He asked the usual questions, I gave the usual brief.
He shrugged, shook his head, then smiled in disbelief.

'I tell you now and again, you've got nothing to worry about,
some changes in your lifestyle will help beyond no doubt,
You have to play some sports, rid your muscles of sloth and rust
sleep early, eat healthy, a vacation is a must'.

I left to meet a friend and told him my therapists tips.
he listened to me intently, then murmured with near closed lips
'Have you tried contacting 'him', he who sees far and beyond?
Metaphysics holds 'the' answers, where medicine can't respond'.

It's been years since my friend adopted strange and twisted ways
Always spoke of mighty gurus, strange places and holy days,
I enquired about 'him', people he treated, books he wrote,
then left in lonesome confusion after I promised I’d give it a thought

After thinking for sometime. I decided to visit 'him'
I thought of it as an adventure, that would satisfy a childish whim
I drove to the old part of town where 'him' is supposed to dwell
then parked in long dark alley, that had an awkward smell

A smell of age and decay, mixed with humidness and some incense,
A smell of fear and hope and smoke that looks so dense ,
The smoke was forming shapes, coming out of a burning log,
My ears could also hear, a crying baby and a barking dog

three times I knocked the door, then I heard a casual cough,
the door slowly opened: “come on in”, said a voice harsh and rough
A short and dark man he is, with serious yet welcoming air,
he stared at me for a while, then spoke with pulsing care:

I expected you to come, the spirits kept telling me you will
You’re a clever and pragmatic man, yet you seek my help still
Whatever I tell you now is what I see so clear
It’s answers to your quest, that’s why you sought a seer.

I see you 've slipped and fallen under an old deadly spell,
that keeps you sad and lonely and burns your guts like hell,
for magic is a common practice in societies of the east,
your enemy is viciously envious, your famine is their feast.

You'll have to do some prayers, beseech for guidance and love,
you'll have to burn some incense, contact the powers above,
The spell will soon be broken, the powers will break its bond,
The powers have 'the' answers, when wise men can't respond'.

You might think I’m a false old magus, who lives a life so low,
This universe is so evil its hardly the world you know,
My job is to fight its demons, an’ I like to guard and serve,
Trust me an’ I will help you, only if you have the nerve!

I left and drove my car to the furthest park in town,
an elderly man was sitting and beside him I sat down,
And before I even noticed, I was telling him my account,
My voice was shaking slightly as I held back the yells and shouts.

The man listened carefully, and occasionally nodded his head,
He made gestures with his eyes, he got every word I said,
And as I went on with my tale, I could notice a strange smile,
That varied in its meaning from sympathetic to awkwardly vile.

Listen to me young man, if you trust me you’ll do fine
I've been a therapist for thirty years, and ‘him’ was a patient of mine,
For years I tried to treat him, he was a case hard to cure,
He’s a classical case of delusion, you noticed this I am sure’.

'I tell you here and now, you've got nothing to worry about,
some changes in your lifestyle will help beyond any doubt,
You have to play some sports, rid your muscles of sloth and rust,
sleep early, eat healthy, a vacation is a must'.

I woke up the next morning in a puddle of grief and sorrow,
my body still so heavy, my soul yearns for tomorrow,
for tomorrow may bring some joy and cast the sadness astray,
O tomorrow, I trust you‘ll come, for you’re just one day away!

A. L. Gomaa© 2007